Alliance Fact Sheet
April 2022 Data
Lus Qhia Txog Lub Alliance
The Alliance is an award-winning regional non-profit health plan, established in 1996, with over 26 years of successful operation. Using the State’s County Organized Health System (COHS) model, we currently serve 392,494 members in Merced, Monterey and Santa Cruz counties. We work in partnership with our contracted providers to promote prevention, early detection and effective treatment, and improve access to quality health care for those we serve. This results in the delivery of innovative community-based health care services, better medical outcomes and cost savings. The Alliance is governed with local representation from each county on our Board of Commissioners.
Healthy People. Healthy Communities.
Accessible, quality health care guided by local innovation.
What We Do
The Alliance is a health plan that was developed to improve access to health care for lower income residents who often lacked a primary care “medical home” and so relied on emergency rooms for basic services. The Alliance has pursued this mission by linking members to primary care physicians (PCPs) and clinics that deliver timely services and preventive care, and arrange referrals to specialty care.
Who We Serve
Our members represent 40 percent of the population in Merced, Monterey and Santa Cruz counties. We serve seniors, persons and children with disabilities, low-income mothers and their children, children who were previously uninsured, pregnant women, home care workers who are caring for the elderly and disabled, and low-income, childless adults ages 19–64.
Our programs currently include Medi-Cal Managed Care serving Merced, Monterey and Santa Cruz counties, and Alliance Care In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) in Monterey County.
The Alliance partners with more than 10,800 providers to form our provider network, with 86 percent of primary care physicians and 87 percent of specialists within our service area contracted to provide services to our members.
The Alliance’s 21-member governing board, the Santa Cruz-Monterey-Merced Managed Medical Care Commission (Alliance Board), sets policy and strategic priorities for the organization and oversees health plan service effectiveness. The Alliance Board has fiscal and operational responsibility for the health plan. In alphabetical order, current Board members are:
- Supervisor Wendy Root Askew, County of Monterey
- Dorothy Bizzini, Public Representative
- Leslie Conner, Executive Director, Santa Cruz Community Health Centers
- Maximiliano Cuevas, MD, Executive Director, Clinica de Salud del Valle de Salinas
- Larry deGhetaldi, MD, President, Santa Cruz Division, Palo Alto Medical Foundation (Sutter Health)
- Julie Edgcomb, Public Representative
- Supervisor Zach Friend, County of Santa Cruz
- Charles Harris, MD, Interim Chief Executive Officer, Natividad Medical Center
- Dori Rose Inda, CEO, Salud Para La Gente
- Elsa Jimenez, Director of Health, Monterey County Health Department – Alliance Board Chairperson
- Shebreh Kalantari-Johnson, Public Representative
- Michael Molesky, Public Representative
- Monica Morales, Health Services Agency Director, County of Santa Cruz Health Services Agency
- Rebecca Nanyonjo, Director of Public Health, Merced County, Department of Public Health
- Supervisor Josh Pedrozo, County of Merced – Alliance Board Vice Chairperson
- James Rabago, MD, Merced Faculty Associates Medical Group
- Allen Radner, MD, Salinas Valley Memorial Healthcare System
- Joerg Schuller, MD, Vice President Medical Affairs, Mercy Medical Center
- Rob Smith, Public Representative
- Tony Weber, Chief Executive Officer, Golden Valley Health Centers
- Vacant, Public Representative
Number of Employees
% Spent on Administration
Merced, Monterey and Santa Cruz counties
Membership by Program
Total Membership: 392,494
Alliance Cov Kev Pab Saib Xyuas Mob Nkeej Rau Tom Tsev
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Financial Officer
Chief Administrative Officer
Maurice Herbelin, MD, MBA
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Information Officer
Chief Operating Officer
The Alliance is a multi-award winning organization for outstanding health plan performance, quality and leadership in health care.
State Quality Awards:
Over the years, the Alliance has received numerous awards including the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) Quality Awards for performance in the state’s annual Healthcare Effectiveness Data Information Set (HEDIS®) measures for Medi-Cal managed care plans.
The recent awards include:
- Consumer Satisfaction Award for going above and beyond in children’s care for medium-sized health plans in 2021
- Outstanding Performance for Medium-sized Plan
- Most Improved Runner Up for Santa Cruz/Monterey Counties
- Innovation Award for Academic Detailing
Customer Service Honors:
- DHCS 2011 Gold Quality Award for Outstanding Service and Support
Employer Workplace Distinctions:
- American Heart Association 2016 Workplace Health Achievement Gold Level Award as a “Fit and Friendly Workplace”
- Second Harvest Food Bank, Santa Cruz County – CEO Cup 2018, 2017; Titanium Award 2015, 2014, 2013
- United Way of Santa Cruz County 2018, 2013 Corporate Campaign Gold Award
- 2020 Certified California Green Business - Program Participant since 2008
- 2020 Blue Zones Project Approved Worksite
- Recognized by the Santa Cruz County Breastfeeding Coalition and Community Bridges WIC for being a model for employee lactation accommodation, 2021