Grants of $35,000-$100,000 are available now for Data Sharing Agreement (DSA) Signatories to build capacity for data exchange or to connect to a qualifying health information organization.
Eligibility for DSA Signatory Grants
All required signatories* of the Data Exchange Framework (DxF) including:
- Acute and psychiatric hospitals.
- Medical groups and physician organizations.
- Skilled nursing facilities.
- Clinical laboratories.
*Must have signed the DSA and demonstrated need to reach compliance with DSA.
DSA Signatory Grant types
Grants are for one of two tracks: Technical Assistance (TA) or Qualified Health Information Organization (QHIO). Each entity can only apply for one track.
1. TA Grant
- Can be used to pay contractors for a variety of technical assistance needs. Examples include:
- Electronic Health Record upgrades or acquisition.
- Upgrades to existing EHRs to connect to QHIO.
- Staff training and development for data exchange systems.
- Creation of new workflows to incorporate data exchange.
- Money would flow through organization to contractor of choice.
- Good choice for organizations early in the process of data exchange.
2. QHIO Grant
- Supports subscription and/or implementation fees to a new HIE/HIO (cannot be an existing entity and can only be with one single HIE/HIO).
- Data must be successfully exchanged for fund distribution.
- Paid directly to HIE/HIO.
DSA Signatory Grant funding amount
|Provider Type||Base Funding Maximum||Enhanced Funding Maximum*|
|Acute Care/Psychiatric Hospital||$50,000||$100,000|
|Skilled Nursing Facilities||$50,000||$100,000|
|Physician Organizations and Medical Groups||$35,000||$50,000|
*Entities are eligible for enhanced funding if they are serving underserved communities as defined by DxF: 1) Underserved Geographies: Largest facility of primary signatory is located within a lowest quartile California Healthy Places Index zip code or 2) Underserved/historically marginalized communities: 30% of primary signatory’s patient encounters/volume/revenue streams are Medi-Cal/uninsured/dual eligible. Enhanced funding recipients cannot have received Ca-HOP funding. Entities are eligible for one funding stream (base or enhanced) but not both.
Deadlines for DSA Signatory Grants
Applications will be accepted in three funding cycles:
|Application Rounds||Estimated Application Window*||Estimated Dates of Award Announcements*|
|Round 1||5/15/23 – 6/15/23||8/01/23|
|Round 2||6/15/23 – 7/15/23||9/01/23|
|Round 3||7/01/23 – 9/30/23||12/01/23|
* All dates are subject to change.
Applications for DSA Signatory Grants
Application signatory must be Signatory of DSA for agency as DHCS will be matching names.
Apply through the DxF Grant Portal.
- Full advisory document.
- Application support for TA track: Contact [email protected] (DHCS-provided resource).
- Application support for QHIO track: Contact [email protected] (DCHS-provided resource).
Contact the Alliance’s Program Development Department at [email protected]