Enhanced Care Management (ECM) and Community Supports
Enhanced Care Management (ECM) and Community Supports services coordinate both the clinical and non-clinical aspects of care for the highest-need Medi-Cal members and serve as cost-effective alternatives to covered Medi-Cal services.
To refer a member to ECM/CS services, visit our ECM/CS referral page.
ECM is a Medi-Cal benefit administered by DHCS. ECM providers deliver:
- Comprehensive care management.
- Care coordination.
- Health promotion.
- Comprehensive transitional care.
- Individual and family support services.
- Referrals to community social supports.
Community Supports (CS) are community-based services that address health-related social needs. Medi-Cal managed care health plans may offer these alternative services to their members to avoid hospital care, nursing facility care, visits to the emergency department or other costly services.
The Alliance offers Enhanced Care Management and Community Supports trainings for providers. You can attend a live training or watch a recorded training.
How do members access ECM or Community Supports services?
There are three ways members can access ECM or Community Supports services:
- The Alliance or an ECM or Community Supports provider may contact members directly if they qualify.
- Members or a member’s family member can self-refer or ask for information to see if they qualify. Alliance members can call the Alliance Member Services Department at 800-700-3874 from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Providers or requesting entities may submit an ECM or Community Supports referral to the Alliance.
Funding for ECM/CS Infrastructure and Capacity Building
Alliance provider resources for ECM/CS
Invoices and billing
DHCS resources for ECM/CS
There are several guides, trainings and toolkits to help providers understand and implement ECM and CS.
- DHCS CalAIM ECM and Community Supports webpage
- DHCS ECM and CS Standard Provider Terms and Conditions
- APL 21-009: Collecting Social Determinants of Health (SDOH) Data
ECM/CS Contact Information
Alliance ECM team
Email [email protected]
Interested in becoming an ECM or CS provider? Email us at [email protected].