Controlling High Blood Pressure – Exploratory Measure Tip Sheet
The percentage of members 18–85 years of age who had a diagnosis of hypertension (HTN) and whose blood pressure (BP) was adequately controlled (<140/90 mm Hg) in the last 12 months. BP reading must occur on or after the date of the second HTN diagnosis.
This is a provisionary measure; there is no payment for 2020. For additional information refer to the 2021 CBI Technical Specifications.
Blood Pressure CPT-II Codes:
|BP Value||CPT-CAT-II Code|
|Systolic Less Than 130||3074F|
|Systolic Greater Than or Equal To 140||3077F|
|Diastolic Less Than 80||3078F|
|Diastolic Greater Than or Equal To 90||3080F|
- Members 66-80 years of age with frailty and an advanced illness.
- Members 81 years of age and older are excluded with frailty.
- Members who had two visits related to advanced illness.
- Members receiving Palliative Care.
- Members who were dispensed dementia medication.
Data for this measure will be collected using laboratory data, provider data submissions via the Data Submission Tool on the Provider Portal, and claims.
- Run a report from your Electronic Health Record system
- Manually compile patient data
This measure allows providers to submit blood pressure readings from their EMR/EHR system or paper records to the Alliance at the end of the measurement year by uploading data files to the Data Submission Tool on the Provider Portal. The files are required to be submitted as a CSV file to be accepted. A Data Submission Tool Guide is available on the Provider Portal to provide you with step-by-step instructions.
Measuring Blood Pressure:
Please remind your patients to utilize proper technique when taking their BP, such as:
- BP > 140/90 should require a recheck
- Support back/feet
- Put cuff on bare arm
- Empty bladder first
- Use correct cuff size
- Don’t have a conversation
- Support arm at heart level
- Keep legs uncrossed.
© 2021 Central California Alliance for Health