Child and Adolescents BMI Assessment Tip Sheet
The percentage of members 3-17 years of age who had an outpatient visit with a PCP or OB/GYN and had a body mass index (BMI) percentile documented during the measurement year.
Incentives will be paid on an annual basis, following the end of quarter 4. For additional information refer to the 2021 CBI Technical Specifications.
Data for this measure will be collected using provider data submissions via the Data Submission Tool on the Provider Portal, and claims.
- Run a report from your EHR system
- Manually compile patient data (Example: Download monthly breast cancer screening quality report on the Provider Portal and compare to EHR)
This measure allows providers to submit BMI percentiles from the clinic EMR/EHR system or paper records to the Alliance at the end of the measurement year by uploading data files to the Data Submission Tool on the Provider Portal. The files are required to be submitted as a CSV file to be accepted. A Data Submission Tool Guide is available on the Provider Portal to provide you with step-by-step instructions.
For members 3 - 17 years on the date of service, list one of the following BMI percentile codes. Members meet the requirements if they have had one of the following diagnosis (ICD-10) codes billed:
- 51 – BMI pediatric, less than 5th percentile for age
- 52 – BMI pediatric, 5th percentile to less than 85th percentile for age
- 53 – BMI pediatric, 85th percentile to less than 95th percentile for age
- 54 – BMI pediatric, greater than or equal to 95th percentile for age
Child/Adult: Female members who have a diagnosis of pregnancy during the measurement year.
- Take advantage of every office visit to discuss health lifestyle habits, including nutrition and physical activity.
- Enroll members 2-18 years of age who are at high risk into the Alliance’s Healthy Weight for Life Program. Members will receive health education and be enrolled into a raffle to receive a gift card or a new bike. https://thealliance.health/for-providers/manage-care/health-education-and-disease-management/health-education-programs/
- Ensure members are getting adequate amount of sleep https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/features/getting-enough-sleep.html.
© 2021 Central California Alliance for Health